Pain Management Treatments
Turn to Dr. Abdel-Aziz, the board-certified pain management specialist at OMC for innovative services that use advanced technology to effectively treat your pain.
Neuromodulation is technology that acts directly upon nerves. It is the alteration –or modulation- of nerve activity by delivering electricity directly to the target area in the spine. It involves the placement of electrodes in the spine, connected to a pulse generator which generates the necessary electrical stimulation to relive pain. You initially go through a trial, to try the device externally for 5-7 days. If your pain improves significantly during the trial, you may proceed with a permanent implant. We commonly perform:
- Spinal cord stimulation trials and implants, to treat chronic low back and leg pain following spine surgery and chronic neuropathic pain in the legs.
- Dorsal root ganglion stimulation trials and implants, to treat chronic hip, knee, ankle or foot pain following surgery or chronic neuropathic pain in the feet.
Procedures for Back Pain:
- Medial Branch nerve blocks and radiofrequency ablation (denervation), for pain originating from the small joints in the spine (the facet joints)
- Sacroiliac procedures, for pain originating from the sacroiliac joint.
- Spinal cord stimulation, for back pain following spine surgery.
Procedures for Neck Pain and Headaches:
- Cervical medial branch blocks and radiofrequency ablation, for chronic neck pain and for headaches originating from the neck (cervicogenic headaches)
- Botox injections for migraine headache
- Occipital nerve blocks, for nerve pain in the back of the head
- Sphenopalatine ganglion blocks and pulsed stimulation, for atypical facial pain.
- Trigeminal nerve blocks and pulsed stimulation, for trigeminal neuralgia.
Procedures for Arm and Leg Pain
- Transforaminal, interlaminar or caudal epidural steroid injections for arm or leg pain due to a pinched nerve in the spine.
- Spinal cord stimulation, for leg pain following spine surgery.
Procedures for Knee Pain
- Dorsal root ganglion stimulation trials and implants, for chronic knee pain after knee surgery.
- Genicular nerve blocks and radiofrequency ablation, for knee pain after knee replacement, or due to knee arthritis
- Knee injections with steroids or viscosupplementation for knee pain due to arthritis.
Procedures for Hip Pain
- Dorsal root ganglion stimulation trials and implants, for chronic hip pain after hip surgery
- Hip joint steroid injections, for hip pain due to arthritis.
- Nerve block and denervation of the articular branches of the femoral and obturator nerves
- Bursa injections, for bursitis pain.
Procedures for Pelvic Pain
- Dorsal root ganglion stimulation trials and implants, for chronic pelvic pain after surgery
- Ganglion Impar blocks
- Pudendal nerve blocks
- Ilioinguinal and genitofemoral nerve blocks
Your pain management might include OMC's rehabilitation services (physical therapy) to include alternate techniques and apply a multimodal approach in treating your pain.