Construction: Elton Hills Bridge / North Broadway
Information from Public Works
Accurate as of April 21, 2022
Elton Hills Drive Bridge
Construction began in October 2021 and will last through the first week of July 2022. The closure impacts the bridge in both directions. Working hours for the contractor will be approximately 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. The bridge over the Zumbro River has been removed and reconstruction work is underway.
The following impacts to travel continue to be in place until completion of the project:
- Elton Hills Drive is closed at the bridge.
- Vehicle traffic is being detoured to 13th Street NW via 3rd Avenue NW and Broadway Avenue North.
- Pedestrian and cyclists are being detoured to the pedestrian bridge north of Elton Hills Drive via sidewalks along West River Parkway NW and the Zumbro North Trail.
Elton Hills Drive Bridge Replacement Virtual Open House and Public Engagement Portal: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/ceba2b5386ca4027aca7d83b3f820284
North Broadway Project - Phase 2
Last updated: April 25, 2022
Information about Phase 2 the project can be found at https://www.rochestermn.gov/home/components/topic/topic/11647/3986. This phase is scheduled to being in Spring 2024.
North Broadway Project - Phase 1
Last updated: March 21, 2022
Phase two of the reconstruction of North Broadway Avenue begins on March 28, 2022 and will focus on the alleyways and side streets adjacent to North Broadway. Click here for the map showing 2022 construction impacts. The project has an expected completion date of September 2022.
Impacts to alleyways and side streets:
- Construction will begin on March 28 with milling of the alleyways and side streets. Work will progress from north to south, first on the east side of Broadway Avenue and then the west, and will only affect access in the areas where construction is actively occurring.
- Next contractors will begin installing underground utilities. Locations under active construction will be completely closed for several days and then re-opened with a gravel surface. Construction will then move to a new location within the project area and repeat the process. Detour signs will be posted for each work location.
Work on Broadway Avenue in 2022 will include landscaping, installation of railing, completion of bus stops, and electrical work. Impacts along Broadway Avenue include:
- Broadway Avenue from 5 Street NW to the north will have moving outside lane closures to facilitate construction activities. The closure areas will move regularly throughout the corridor. Drivers should watch for traffic shifts. One lane of travel will remain open in each direction at all times.
- The Bryk on Broadway project will continue to require the closure of one southbound travel lane between 5 Street NW and Civic Center Drive until August 2022.
- Intermittent work on individual Rochester Public Transit (RPT) shelters will require passengers to be re-routed to the next closest shelter. Visit rptride.com for up-to-date information on transit impacts.
- Closures of the sidewalk and cycle track may occur, but will be infrequent.
The public can learn more about the project, view phasing and detour maps, and sign up for newsletter updates at: reconstructbroadway.com
Resources for the North Broadway project:
*All dates are weather dependent.